[WWI] SPAD 13 Internal fitting

Douglas Anderson djandersonza at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 18 07:16:12 EDT 2007

I neer realised how much aluminium was used in Great War aircraft and engines. I must admit a very sparse knowledge on OT aircraft structures and engine materials.

Shane Weier <bristolf2b at hotmail.com> wrote:  Doug

>Were any allied aircraft that advanced

Well, given that the Junkers D.1 was the first all metal monoplane fighter
the answer has to be -no.

But aluminium was used. For example, almost all late war French aircraft
were coated in it, though of course in that case the paint wasn't used to
protect the aluminium, but rather the reverse ;-)

MUCH more significant though is it being a large part of many aircraft
engines!

First example comes to mind, the BR.1 had aluminium cylinders with cast iron
liners, but many engines used aluminium.

How about the aluminium used in cowlings?

Shane

My Strine is a Toad in Disguise

Quidvis recte factum,
quanvis humile, praeclarum

Advertisement: 1000s of Sexy Singles online now at Lavalife - Click here
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D27782&_t=762229680&_r=lavalife_apr07_1000sexysingles&_m=EXT