[WWI] SPAD 13 Internal fitting

Diego Fernetti dfernet0 at rosario.gov.ar
Wed Apr 18 06:46:20 EDT 2007

> How common were aluminium fittings this early? I thought aluminium
> was a rather modern material?

Aluminium is an element, the third most abundant in the planet, if I recall
my chemistry classes well. But until 1880s, it was such an expensive metal
to produce that it's price rivalled that of gold and platinum. I've seen
pictures of rich silverware with inlaids of aluminium, and a (mordious!)
eagle-topped German helmet made with aluminium, with gilded eagle and
cheekguards.
D.
by WW1, there was even cooking ware made of aluminium