[WWI] SPAD 13 Internal fitting

Douglas Anderson djandersonza at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 18 04:06:51 EDT 2007

What Shane says is correct, but I doubt they would have used aluminium. Aluminium has only been really available for just over 100 years and would surely have been rather expensive and difficult to produce. Wartime conditions would have likely meant that steel-tubing would rather be used, which would have required some form of coating.

Shane Weier <bristolf2b at hotmail.com> wrote:  'ming

>On the Memorial Flight aircraft, many of the fittings appear to be plain
>aluminium - would 'period' aircraft be like this, or would they be coated
>in
>some way?

Why paint aluminium?

Aside from camouflage, which is not relevant for internal fittings, you'd do
nothing but add weight.

Aluminium corrodes *very* quickly, but the thin coat of oxide that results
expands and contracts in exactly the same degree as the underliyng metal.
That means it doesn't flake off like rust on steel, and because it prevents
further corrosion, the aluminium underneath is effectively protected from
further corrosion.

IOW - paint would useless or worse and a good engineer/designer/manufacturer
would leave it bare

Shane

My Strine is a Toad in Disguise

Quidvis recte factum,
quanvis humile, praeclarum

Advertisement: Silverchair: Young Modern – listen to full tracks plus win
gig tickets!
http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=772&referral=competitionpage&URL=http://music.ninemsn.com.au/silverchair