[WWI] SPAD 13 Internal fitting

dave fleming dave.fleming at dial.pipex.com
Tue Apr 17 13:49:27 EDT 2007

Quoting Shane Weier <bristolf2b at hotmail.com>:

> 'ming
>

> Why paint aluminium?

Who mentioned paint?

> Aluminium corrodes *very* quickly, but the thin coat of oxide that results
> expands and contracts in exactly the same degree as the underliyng metal.
> That means it doesn't flake off like rust on steel, and because it prevents
> further corrosion, the aluminium underneath is effectively protected from
> further corrosion.

I hadn't thought about protective oxidisation, but that would make sense (It's
been 20 years since I last studied metallurgy!) - unless it's like the Queen's
Flight or certain airlines who polish it!

Mind you, I'd imagine the cockpit of an open WW1 biplane would be a pretty
hostile environment.

>a good engineer

An oxymoron surely............

Dave