[WWI] SPAD 13 Internal fitting

Diego Fernetti dfernet0 at rosario.gov.ar
Tue Apr 17 10:50:19 EDT 2007

> Exacatally! And the aeroplane would have been written off in afew months
> anyway. IMHO.

Not just for that. If so, why spend many man hours working "squiggles" or
"dimples" on aluminum cowls?
Also, I've seen that different manufacturers had different policies
regarding cockpit furnishement. Compare the spartan accomodations of a
Fokker with the luscious office of a Spad (I recall the seat being made of
wood frames and knit wicker strands like a regular chair). While the main
concern must have been weight saving, some had better "ergonomics" and
materials too. Perhaps crews may have added a few items for added comfort,
like padding, or rearranged instruments and controls.
Maybe the bus only was operational a few months (with luck!), but it was
their pride and joy while it lasted!
D.