[WWI] SPAD 13 Internal fitting

Douglas Anderson djandersonza at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 17 07:42:06 EDT 2007

Surely they many would have been left natural metal. The reasoning behind this is that the allies were under pressure and nice finishes probably were not high on their list of priorities, especially concerning the high turn-over rate of aircraft and pilots. I would imagine that one would have some parts coated or painted and other parts not.

  Also, field repairs may not always have resulted in coated and painted parts being used.

Diego Fernetti <dfernet0 at rosario.gov.ar> wrote:
  > On the Memorial Flight aircraft, many of the fittings appear to be plain
> aluminium - would 'period' aircraft be like this, or would they be coated
> in
> some way?

Many? Which ones? Some of the rigging hardware was enameled in light blue,
and sometimes the rigging cables were greased, even when this wasn't
universal.
D.