[WWI] Von Richtofen & Brown Film

jamie jamesgagnon5 at sympatico.ca
Sat Apr 7 16:57:54 EDT 2007

Hi Stephen;

Movie "von Rictofen and Brown" was directed by Roger Corman, starring John
Phillip Law and Don Stroud, released in 1971(it was released in some venues
as "The Red Baron". It was shot in colour using aircraft from the Blue Max
as well as some others. It attempted to compare and contrast the way the air
war as seen by the Germans and the British(Commonwealth) with the Germans
being more interested in glory and the Brits fighting to survive. It
actually covers a long period culminating in the air battle that saw
Rictofen's demise. I believe it even goes back to Voss' death. It's been a
long time since I've seen it, but it seems to me that it portrays an
increasing war-weariness on Richtofen's part. I thought it was pretty decent
for a low budget treatment. There are many historical errors (Hermann
Goering gets to be the archetypical Nazi before they were even invented and
in Richtofen's command before the death of the Rittmeister). Brown is
actually a less sympathetic character than one would expect if he is the
hero; in fact I think Corman is actually saying that Richtofen was the
"better man" , sort of the way Hector comes off as the "better man" than
Achilles in the Illiad.

Jamie