[WWI] Flyboys

Stephen Auslender auslend at snet.net
Sat Apr 7 13:04:22 EDT 2007

RE: the Richtofen movie being made in Germany.
Now, if someone could only reproduce the rotary engines of the era that
actually work and can propell the replica planes. And if they could use the
real sound of the planes of that era, especially the intermittent blipping
of the engines.
Or am I asking for too much?
As to the plot lines, the Germans have a problem with their own past, as we
all know. How do they tell their children not only how evil Hitler and his
crew were, but how all the people could serve him so well. So they have
inherent problems with movies of all wars in which they were involved.
Especially in today's atmosphere of universal do-gooderism and enlightened
everybody-be-nice-nice.
Also I am sure that Germany has their own "Hollywood" types of hack
producers, directors and writers who make movies.
I'm just gonna sit back and hope for the best with this Richtoften movie.
If nothing else, I can rent the DVD, simply turn the sound off and enjoy the
aeroplanes. In fact, that's what I am doing right now with The Flyboys. Fast
forward through all the talking and the love scenes and just view the
planes.
But I must admit I liked the love scenes in The Flyboys for reminding me how
naive and innocent I was when I was young and in love for the first time.
No, I never met any girls as  innocent and naive as the girl in The
Flyboys - people like her exist in one's imagination, which is the charm of
the fantasy created in movies.
Stephen