[WWI] Flyboys

Stephen Auslender auslend at snet.net
Sat Apr 7 09:01:42 EDT 2007

Its not that I am poking holes in the movie, after all, the movie was
nothing more than a series of holes with some beautiful flying scenes and
wonderful airplanes, both real and computer generated.
Its just that it was such a hack job of writing and editing.
I can understand how you and your son would like seeing it together. When I
was 12, back during the Korean War, I still liked seeing all those really
hokey WW2 movies and I loved seeing the movies of the then current conflict.
But there were some well made, quality war movies that came out of the
Korean War.
The Flyboys, like that latest Pearl Harbor movie, were just badly done
animated comic books. I have nothing against comic book movies. The first
Spiderman is an example of a well made movie based on a comic book
character. But Flyboys was no more than an old "B" cowboy movie from the
1930's full of rehashed old hackneyed clichés.
I do enjoy watching well made comic book movies. The first Pirates of the
Caribbean was a fun movie. Movies of this genre can be made well.
My disappointment with flyboys was that the film makers did so little with
so much.
Stephen