[WWI] Fokker Steel Tube Colors?

Joel Christy jbarchristy at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 2 14:26:29 EDT 2007

Years ago(20) I telephoned the Imperial War Museum-Duxford to ask what sort of primer was used on something like a Sopwith Camel. The head of aircraft restorations at the time said that they probably wouldn't even have bothered to put anything on the metal bits as the aircraft were not expected to last more than a few months anyway. Which when you think about it makes sense. Look at historical photos; how many say "struck off" just months after being manufactured. MHO.

  Cheers,

  Joel

Andy Bannister <a.bann at ntlworld.com> wrote:
  Shane:

> (Actually, it gets worse. Ask on Hyperscale what colour the struts and other
> metal parts on an Albatros were painted and I bet you get the same answer)

I would be surprised if anyone on Hyperfascist even knew what an Albatros was, in spite of the fact that a few models of them have been displayed on there. If it doesn't have swastikas on it and/or was manufactured by Tamiya then they don't want to know. ;-)
Andy