[WWI] Albatros D.II

Karen Rychlewski krychski at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 30 22:18:40 EDT 2005

Warren Dickinson wrote:
>...> http://www.luftfahrtgeschichte.com/alb_d2.jpg. What
> are those markings? The fuselage looks slightly lozengey to me ..."
>> No lozenge, and I used to know whose a/c this was, I'll have to look it up if you want.

What looks like lozenge is an optical illusion caused by light
reflecting from a slightly not-flat plywood panel; many photos of D.Is
and D.IIs have this effect. I can't put my finger on the owner of the
crossed scimitar marking, but I'm 99.9% certain that it was a decal
included in the old Meikraft D.II kit.

>...D.II with a white  skull on a red band. Is it authentic?"
>> Yes, Vizefeldwebel Otto Gerbig of Jasta 14, Alb. D.II 1782/16

That's according to Datafile #100. The same markings are included in the
Eduard Profipack version of their D.II and it's identified as "Unknown
pilot from 17th Regiment Brunswick Hussars, Sept. 1916". Personally, I'd
trust the DF. That scheme was the reason I bought the kit last week.

Karen