[WWI] Book Recommendation

John Ratzenberger JohnRatzenberger at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 30 20:12:47 EDT 2005

Now I know 95% of our traffic is about airplanes, but I just got:

Uniforms & Equipment of the British Army in World War I
Stephen J Chambers, Schiffer Military History, 2005
70 US$

This is a photo essay, 300 9x12 glossy pages with 2-3 b/w photos per page,
and another 12 colo(u)r pages of Army, Corps, and Divisional badges.  The
book is very well captioned.

The book divides by arm of service -- infantry, artillery, tank, machine gun
corps, engineer, service, RFC, etc.
There are few "action" photos -- the photos are almost all posed, staged, or
"memory/souvenier" photos of individuals and groups -- the focus is the
soldier, his uniform & individual equipment..  There are some of vehicles &
weapons, but mostly those are secondary to the soldiers themselves.

Pricey, but really great, IMHO.  Folks into figures or dioramas should find
something useful.

John Ratzenberger