[WWI] Iwata HP-CH question

Chris Savaglio csavaglio at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 26 23:41:50 EDT 2005

I use an Iwata HP-C plus.  It's pretty much the same, but doesn't have the
adjustable air.  I think the air wouldn't be too helpful, since most likely
you can adjust the pressure at the compressor.  I love it, and went from a
nice Gunze brush, which is just a rebadged version of the Iwata brushes.

Some advice:

Don't get any smaller than a .3mm nozzle size.  Any smaller and the paint
dries and clogs the tip up too fast.  The -C series are .3mm, with the A and
B's .2mm.  My old Gunze was a .2mm.  You can swap out needles and nozzles
later, for about 45 bucks total if you decide you need smaller.

With properly thinned acrylics, I can get a near pencil line pattern.
Pretty amazing.  Even 72nd scale soft edged camo's are no problem, as well
as pre-shading, post shading, etc.

Get a tube of airbrush lube.  It's like a semi thick lube you can put on the
moving parts of the airbrush.  Put a drop on your finger and run the need
through it before you re-install it.  It'll keep the paint from drying on
the tip, especially if you spray acrylics.

Keep the brush imaculately clean.  A lot of q-tips and a set of the airbrush
specific, non-disposable pipe cleaners are a must.  The cleaner you keep the
brush, the better it'll spray.  I usually do a full break down on the
airbrush before starting a model, or at least before starting the final
finish.  It doesn't take long once you know how to do it, maybe 10 or 15
minutes.  I use laquer thinner since it takes off everything.  Really, its a
good idea for every airbrush.

The difference between the plus and non plus brushes is the thread pitch on
the tips and nozzles.  The plus's had a courser thread to make it more
durable.  My old brush was the old pitch and I never had a problem breaking
off tips.  It looks like Iwata is going toward everything being on the new
threads, so parts may be a problem in a few years with the old stuff.

The weight of a metal brush may get tiring, but I like the balance.  I tried
an Aztec, and aside from other issues with it, it had no weight and I had a
hard time with it.  Besides, it's not like we have the airbrush out for more
than a few minutes at a time anyhow.

Hope this helps.

Chris