[WWI] Squadron White Putty

Chris Savaglio csavaglio at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 21 22:11:02 EDT 2005

Try using the green stuff.  It's a bit smoother and seems to last better.  I
had the same problem as well with the white stuff, but I've had a tube of
the green for at least 6 months, and it's as good as the day I opened it.

A good way to thin either putty, though, is with nail polish remover.  Don't
use the acetone free stuff or it won't work.  It also won't craze the
plastic like laquer thinner or MEK unless you really go crazy with it.

I usually tape the seem on both sides so that only a tiny bit is exposed.
Then I putty down the seem and take a q-tip wet with the nail polish remover
and run it down to smooth the putty out and get it into the seem.  It really
cuts down on sanding, so that you can sand a whole model in 10 or 15
minutes.  Sometimes I barely have to sand at all.

Too many limited run models in my WWII modeling days, I guess.

Chris