[WWI] Camel pilot seat belt

Aidrian Bridgeman-Sutton smokeandsteam at san.rr.com
Mon Jul 18 22:19:29 EDT 2005

When was the Sutton harness invented? And when did it go into general
service?

Sutton died in a crash in 1921 or so, so it was before then; some OT
types did have some form of the Sutton harness by the sounds of things
so my guess is perhaps 1917 or 1918. If the Sutton harness had been in
widespread use those Sopwiths wouldn't have needed so much padding
around the guns so I'm sticking to a wide lap belt unless I have
evidence to the contrary. However the spare etched parts are handy for
my not-quite-OT stuff.

Aidrian

>>Perhaps I and you are wrong as all photo etched stuff seems
to supply the Sutten rig for all British Aircraft? ie: Eduard
Camel,Sopwith
Triplane, Sopwith Pup, and Part for the SE5a.<<