[WWI] Added Halberstadt DII

Paul Butler pgbrol6b at tpg.com.au
Sun Jul 17 03:49:08 EDT 2005

Tom

Great model -- very impressive -- probably too
small for me to manage. I will stick to hand
filing hex flats on scale size nuts and bolt heads and simliar do-hickies.

I am curious about the material you have used to
construct the U/C assemble jig. Is it plastic foam board?

I got a clue about a suitable material (for a
soldering suport surface) from a product that
Micro-Mark sells for use when soldering small
parts, namely ceramic fibre board, They call it a
Soldering Pad (product numbers 70219, 80751 &
70220). I rang around the local furnace
manufacturers and was able to get a piece (13" x
18" x 1/2") for $15. It came out of their scrap
bin so the price is probably a number they plucked out of the air.

I made up a wooden (MDF) box to hold the fibre
board (it is very friable) and have used the
board to support parts (with pins) while silver
soldering. The surface of the board glows red hot
but 1/2" thickness is plenty to protect the wood from the 2000°F+ gas flame

On the matter of soldering, I have tried out some
'Solder-it' silver bearing low temperature solder
(melts at 430°F), (also from Micro-Mark). Very
easy to use. Significantly less trouble than
soldering with lead-tin solder. Readily wets
steel and I expect brass. Doesn't adhere to
aluminum so you can make your jigs out of
aluminum. (You can also get a similiar solder for
aluminum directly from the manufacturer.)

Claimed strength of Solder-It is 10,000 to 25,000
psi (ordinary lead-tin is around 5000 psi)

Another interesting prospect is that you can
'oven' solder as is done in the manufacture of
aluminum auto radiators, ie. pre-assemple your
parts in a jig, apply the solder paste then put
it all into an oven, (don't use an oven that is
still in use for cooking food because the solder
flux fumes and spatters quite a bit)

I realise that much of the above may already be
known to many if not all list members and it may
also be academic to most non-flying model builders.
However, builders of flying model (especially
small electrics) may find Solder-It extremely
useful because its higher strength equates to
smaller (lighter?) joints and the low melting
temperature will not affect the spring temper of
cold drawn wire (ie. music or piano wire).

Regards to all

Paul Butler
pgbrol6b at tpg.com.au
Tel: +61 3 9457 2877