[WWI] airspeed indicator

Diego Fernetti d_fernetti at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 16 20:06:50 EDT 2005

Tracy!
>I'm working on the last fiddly bits on my HB W.29

Good to hear that! Don't forget to post pics of it before goind to the Nats!

 >need a good photo of the type of airspeed indicator
>that is sort of a post with two prongs (I hope I am
>explaining this well enough).
>seen in the photos 24-27 in the
>Datafile.

Hmmm well... (I'm brandishing here my newest datafile, thanks kindly folks
up North!) Sure you mean pictures 25 and 27, since you can't see the
airspeed thingie on pic #24.
You may notice that this is indeed a captured aircraft, late model, and on
which tests are being carried on by the Englanders. The pitot tube to which
you refer is of the British type, just like the ones you may see installed
on a Sopwith Camel strut, but on this case, it has been mounted on a short
pylon, probably to minimize the wing surface airflow on the measurement. The
gauge is not on the wing itself, but most probably mounted inside the
fuselage to which the pitot is connected by mean of a small diametre pipe
(sure there is another pipe in there, taking measurements of the static
pressure opposed to dynamic).
In any case, I doubt that your civilian HB would use the Brit pitot design,
since it still flew on Germany after the war. Anyway, if you will use this
option, the Tom Modelworks British Interior PE set and also the Fotocut "WW1
extravaganza" have several of these small pronged instrument probes.
HTH
D.