[WWI] the secret

Mark Shannon shingend at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jul 15 18:31:46 EDT 2005

So far I have kept going, though badly slowed down, in spite of rheumatoid
arthritis and fibromyalgia.  There are days when I cannot close my hand,
and times when it opens against my will when I'm trying to hold something.
I have to be careful when handling an open tin of paint or solvent, see.
It also affects concentration, mainly through exhaustion, and eyesight.  On
the other hand, most of the models I have posted on the website and cook-up
were completed after I was diagnosed.

I can't build very fast, nor sit for very long in any one session.  If you
love doing something, however, you find a way.  If you are lucky enough to
have a supportive spouse or significant other, there are ways to work
around the problem bits.  (That goes for the relationship, too.)  I
probably cannot work in an industrial research situation, anymore, and
probably not full time teaching at a college or university -- but the
government professional job I have, where they TRY to limit you to 40 hours
per week, works well.

I'm not saying my situation is the same thing as the blind modeler's case,
or an actor like Michael J. Fox or the late Terry Thomas who kept going
with Parkinson's disease, or those stories you hear about dogs that have
lost legs and still chase Frisbees -- but what other options do you have
but to go on?

.Mark.