[WWI] Contributions to Archives

Paul Butler pgbrol6b at tpg.com.au
Sat Jul 2 07:30:49 EDT 2005

I have collected more photos of the Mercedes D.IIIa engine and plan to send
them to Allan sometime soon. These photos should help to clarify some
details missing from other photos already in the archives.

As some may already know or remember, my primary interest is in the:

Pfalz D.XII
Pfalz D.III
Roland D.VI
Albatros D.Va
Albatros D.III

more or less in that order.

I have had long term plans to model these aircraft at 1/5 scale (the
largest size that will fit in my workshop)

Other projects always pop-up for some reason or other but I am slowing
making progress on the Pfalz D.XII,  as opportunity arises.

As I complete sections of this project, I propose to make information
available to list members.

This information will probably include the following:

1. Photos taken of the example located at the Australian War Memorial Museum
2. Component drawings that may be of interest to others
3. Photos of the model

On the matter of drawings of the Pfalz D.XII, a number good examples by Bob
Waugh and Colin Owers were featured in "World War 1 Aeroplanes" and may
still be available from Leo Opdycke or Colin Owers. In the past, Bob Waugh
has been very generous in providing information to various persons
(including myself) but I am no longer aware of his position on this matter.
Richard Ivansek also placed some of his drawings (for his full size flying
reproduction) plus photos of his full size radiator in one or more issues
of "World War 1 Aeroplanes"

Please note:

1. I am not aware of any really good fully detailed commercially published
drawing of the Pfalz D.XII fuselage and empennage, (eg. to the standard of
drawings by Jim Kiger or Bob Waugh's drawings of the Albatros D.Va featured
in the NASM publication).

2. Any drawing I produce is strictly for modelling purposes only, as are my
drawings of the Mercedes D.IIIa. I have to say this because one customer
for my Mercedes engine book wanted it for reference in making a full size
working reproduction. A working model is one thing (note I deliberately do
not provide internal details of the engine), a full size version that may
endanger life is quite another matter.

Cheers to all

Paul Butler

pgbrol6b at tpg.com.au