[WWI] Repost: You Gotta Iwata

Greg Balzer gregbalzer at adelphia.net
Sun Jan 30 15:09:46 EST 2005

One more time, as my ISP seems to be acting up lately...

Report from the front...

To begin, as everyone knows I am the eternal novice, and could fark up a
peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  Second, I have no commercial interest or
dealings with the Iwata company or any of its representatives.

Just finished test shooting the Iwata Eclipse gravity feed HP-CS.  I've only
had one similar experience in my life...and that was when I discovered why
god made girls, and then made them women.

This thing shoots hairline smooth right outta the box...and NO THINNING!  I
mean it is schweeeEEEET!!  I tested the pre-shading method ala Brett Green
and Gregg Cooper using interior black acryl...unthinned, and I could
pre-shade down to the smallest details on a 1/48 wing.  You have got to see
it to believe it!  Then I went back with Duck Egg Blue enamel, unthinned and
filled in each panel just up to the black pre-shaded outline.  Then I capped
off the Aztek A-470 to overshoot I highly thinned mist coat to blend it all
together.  The Aztek is like a splatter gun compared to the Iwata, but the
end result was simply amazing...and the first time ever attempted by "Mr.
Strip every kit twice 'cause I'm a klutz!"

I've heard some questions about not liking double action.  With the Iwata it
is NO PROBLEM.  In fact, after about ten seconds it's kinda cool to control
the paint with such confidence.  Another question was about sighting, not
wanting the paint to start flowing off line.  Not a problem, as the amount
of paint can be controlled to the point where your eye can pick it up, and
adjust before you really begin painting...you've got to experience it to
fully understand, but suffice it to say that aim, control and paint flow
come naturally and in about the first ten to fifteen seconds.

You Gotta Iwata, and If You Don't, You Oughta...!

Greg