[WWI] Re: First kits, vision issues/enhancements and scales

tracy hancock atlporkchop at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 29 09:06:43 EST 2005

hi all,

"I once had an employer ask me if I didn't think it
was a bit childish to still be building toy airplanes.
I told him "Not as childish as giving up something I
really enjoy out of fear that people might think it's
childish." I don't work for that asshole anymore."
E.

and this, folks, is why I respect and admire (?) my
good buddy E!

As to the modeling thread...
My first kits that I can recall were the Monogram
Stuka and B-26 as well as the battle damaged Mig 21,
all built (in a hurry) to be played with. My interests
switched to armor in the early 80's and fizzled out
intirely when I met a cute little redhead named Becky.
Fast forward several year and I'm living in Brooklyn
and often see a Cessna-type float plane taking off and
landing on the East river and my love of aircraft was
re-awakened (by this time I had met my wife and knew
my days of wanderlust were over). A DH Dragon Rapide
in the window of the Hippodrome hobby shop sealed my
fate. I came home and did the same thing I did as a
kid, built it quickly and played with it....still have
it. My first "serious" model (built slowly and
painted) was the Glencoe Curtiss Condor
airliner....it's a wonder I didn't run screaming. By
this time I'd settled into 1/72 for the variety of
subjects available.
First OT subject was a Revell DH-2, a build which
caused my wife to ask: "How is something that causes
you to curse so much a relaxing hobby?"
I've calmed down a bit as I've become a better modeler
and do enjoy most of my builds, but since I am pretty
sure I will stick with 1/72, I'm wondering how long I
can go without an Opti-visor.
cheers, tracy