[WWI] Optically challenged

Michael Kendix mkendix at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 28 13:23:39 EST 2005

I'm getting concerned about people claiming they had to switch to a larger
scale as they get older (I'm 46).  I'm short-sighted and wear glasses but
I'm at the point where I prefer to take off my glasses when I model.
Eventually, I plan to get reading glasses for close work.  Isn't this a
viable option?  I mean, I know with reading glasses you can't see the tely
but (i) Who cares (ii) I can always put my distance glasses back on.

Aren't close vision spectacles a solution?  Further, I don't understand why
people do 1/48th just because their close vision goes.  Surely there's just
as much if not more detail to stuff in: you need to model even smaller items
that you just couldn't in smaller scales - pilot's eyelashes for instance!
My point then is that going up in scale won't help because you have to do
more detailed stuff and pieces don't get any larger. No?  Also, things like
checking seams are filled without any hairline cracks etc. is still the
same.

Michael