[WWI] Re: does this really have to be the subject header for scales?

Ken Schmitt knnths at mchsi.com
Fri Jan 28 06:41:42 EST 2005

Shane and Stuart go after scales:

> Look beyond the North American shores and you'll find that builders in
> 1/48
> were few and far between until at least the late 70's

Yes & No.
Started out about when Shane did, in Ohio, with 72.
I had a little bookshelf, two rows on it.
This interests: One was filled with every manner of 72 I could get - by
Revell, by pesting my mother to make the drive up to Dayton to go to
their little hobby store attachment to the museum. "We're not going in
the museum again!"
Locally, an occasional Airfix could be found. That's about it.
Two-seaters were hard to come by, but "everything else" was available.
After a few years and a lot of fun reading, the top shelf was filled
with a little squadron.
The bottom shelf had a parking space for three: Revell 28 - the trio,
Voss, Barker, Luke. Rigged.
I thought it was the greatest. And done with enamels, no less...

Started in 72. Loved having what I then considered miniature artwork -
they seemed accurate.
A big Revell Zero, Thunderbolt, 109 and P-40 hung by thread from the
ceiling.
The rest - 48 -  were Slammers, and shortly became fireballs or grist
for firecrackers.

Why 72? I thought tiny looked cool. They were available. They were
affordable. They fit the space I had.
Same reasons many have today.

and no airbrushing, damnit.

;^ )