[WWI] FW: Wood Fuselage Finishes

Mark Shannon shingend at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jan 24 18:46:29 EST 2005

My wood finishing technique is long and drawn out.  What I do is spray a
base of Testor's Wood, Humbrol #110 Natural Wood, #71 Oak, or the like,
then spray a thin random pattern of a lightly contrasting 'woody' tone.  I
then mask off individual panels and dry-brush with two or three wood tones.
One of these I do lightly at a steep angle to the rest, as it gives the
fine structure in most wood grains, the others then give the general
lengthwise direction of the grain.  When these are done, I tend to smooth
out everything with a Detail Master 3600 - 4000 grit polishing cloth, then
'varnish' the works with a thin coat of the clear colors - about six parts
clear yellow, two parts red, and one green.  Be careful of the green, it
seems overpowering in one-to one covering power comparison.  The mix gives
a honey yellow tone and makes the 'grain' effect very prominent.  Future
then gives a tough topcoat.

I do a similar thing with propellers, but for laminations I start with a
light color and freehand brush in the 'bands' for the contrast.  I dry
brush the first color separately before painting in the contrasting
laminations.

I have been experimenting, too.  The tricks mentioned with color pencils,
or the simple base coat, oil paint or ink tinting and wipe down method are
on my to do list for speed and ease.

.Mark.