[WWI] Copyright whinge on the "Other Side"

Sean Brian Kirby acebuilder2003 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 22 04:45:56 EST 2005

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/showthread.php?p=192728#post192728

> Any thoughts from anyone regarding my reply?

Oh, I think you're absolutely right. We all know there
are assorted drawings of the various types out there.
Among these, soemtimes one is right. To not copy the
one correct profile extant - is to get it wrong.

The aeroplanes Mr. San-Abbott researches were designed
by men nearly ninety years ago. If anyone were to have
any copyright to their line, their shape - it would be
the designers. Not a man getting the research on the
matter right almost a century on.

By the same token, if through his research Mr.
San-Abbott has the camoflage pattern of a certain
aeroplane 100% on-the-money - then he has accurately
conveyed something that was devised by a military man
probably long-since gone. If it's correct - the aim -
then the research is his, but certainly not the
pattern! By the same token, if he has it all wrong -
then he can accurately claim it as his own, something
he almost surely would not wish to do.

Am I making any sense here?

Ultimately, among us WWI-types (and other avid
hobbyists of any kind), I thought we did the research
with the express purpose of sharing and setting the
historical record straight. To make money, one puts
this information in books, on CDs, et cetera. Beyond
that, if you have set the record straight on what was
devised many decades previous, and someone utilises
your research for the betterment of their own product
- that is the whole point, yes? Otherwise, if someone
who correctly researched a Reinhold Platz design wants
to claim a copyright - and a court finds you cannot
use said research in making your profiles of these
antiquated bits of aviation history - then that artist
must endeavor to makes his profile at least slightly
wrong (and thus perhaps his own) to be legal. What
sense does that make?

My two.

Sean