[WWI] Werner Voss photo

Shane Weier bristolf2b at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 20 18:12:31 EST 2005

Warren says

>As Shane says, have you ever seen it, or known someone who has?  I am
>beginning to think that the yellow rudder is one of those things that
>has taken on a life of its own.

Actually, I've seen photos of it. And Knut Eric has kindly emailed me
another one.

My point is though, that *yellow* is a serious stretch of imagination in my
opinion.

It's nearer brown than anything and could just as easily be evidence of a
misinterpretation of the instructions to paint out the white crossfields -
remember that some aircraft had the rudder painted out as well as wings and
fuselage.

Furthermore there is considerable doubt about the provenance of the
artifact. IIRC the serial number doesn't match that of the aircraft. Given
that 103/17 was a crumpled wreck before any actual DR.1 airframes reached
the front I personally discount the likelihood of it being a replacement
either

But....who knows

Shane

   My Strine is a Toad in Disguise