[WWI] Werner Voss photo

Michael Scott mds549 at pacbell.net
Wed Jan 19 21:45:13 EST 2005

--- Mark Shannon <shingend at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> What I'm struck by in the photo is the reflections
> on the underside of the
> top wing and the tiredness in Voss' posture - to me
> it carries a bone weary
> feel.  ... I get the impression that the man
> at the tail is
> squinting into the light to look for Voss' signal,
> though how much of the
> squinting is also against the airstream from the
> propeller is not clear.
> Still, It looks like the sun is almost directly in
> front of Voss, from that
> man's perspective.

My read is that the tail-holder is not squinting at
all, but has eyes wide open. And Voss looks bored, not
tired. Obviously this is a run up for the photo - it's
staged to the max, the wheels are chocked, Voss isn't
strapped in and he is obviously not dressed for
altitude - his neck is even uncovfered.
Publicity shot. Maybe Fokker's publicist is behind the
camera lens.

@micro