[WWI] FW: Wood Fuselage Finishes

PELOTE Rafael Gomes rnpelote at sonae.pt
Wed Jan 19 12:50:59 EST 2005

I have two methods I rather like, which I believe work quite well in 1/72:
1. I use "dark sand" tone for the base tone and let cure well. It´s better to use enamel paint, because it dries harder, but I have a tiny problem with the smell of it I rather use acrylics. This means the second phase has to be done with some extra caution. And that is using 2 or 3 watercolour pencils of diferent grades of darker brown to simulate the wood marks. I seal everything with future, and that's it...
2. I use the same tone as the base colour. Once dried, I apply a sealing coat of future, and let that cure well. I then prepare a thik dilution of dark brown tube watercolour, which I apply thoroughly over the model and let dry for half an hour or so. I then use a piece of dry cloth and a few Q-tips to remove the watercolour, leaving the surface somewhat dirty. by removing the watercolour in the desired direction, one can obtain a very realistic "wood" finish. For me, the advantage about this method is that automaticaly enhances the panels lines also... And if you are not happy with it, you can use a damp cloth to remove all of it and start again!

Regards,

Rafael

	It's been gone over before, and at length.  However, because of all of
	my PC problems, I've lost most of my saved mails, archives, etc.  I
	could look it up in the archives, but I'm too lazy and short of time.
	Also, we have several folks new to the list, and I'd like to know their
	techniques, or they may want to learn something new as well.
   	So, now that we seem tobe through bashing corporations,
	adminstrations, lawyers, etc., what are y'alls favorite methods of
	reproducing the wood finish found on Albatros fighters and other German
	two seaters?

	Warren