[WWI] FW: Wood Fuselage Finishes

Michael Kendix mkendix at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 19 12:09:33 EST 2005

Here's what I do.

1. Spray a base of Testors "Wood".  It looks nothing like wood but don't
worry. Then pick out a few panels and brush paint them a slightly lighter
colour - add white to the Wood paint.  I use a beer bottle top to mix the
paints in.  You could mask and spray but I find this unnecessary.  Allow to
dry.
2. Using Gouache watercolor paints in the little tubes, I put a blob of dark
brown, light brow and yellow onto a small pallette (old beer bottle top).
3. Have a container of water and a paper towel laid out ready for wetting
and drying Q-tip.
4.  Take a Q-tip, wet it slightly (dry off on paper towel a bit if it's too
wet) and dip it into each of the paints in the bottle top - get a fair
amount on but not too much.
5. Gently but steadily swipe the paint ladden Q-tip along the area to be
made into faux wood.  Streaking will appear like wood grain - sort of.  Keep
swiping - loading up the Q-tip with paint, wetting it slightly - you need
the right amount of wetness.  Too wet and the paint just swipes away: too
dry and the paint won't swipe into nice streaks.  Paint will settle into the
panel lines which is nice.  When satisfied with the wood grain appearance,
allow to dry.
6. Spray Tamiya clear yellow (thin with Tamiya's own thinner).  Allow to
dry.
7. Brush coat with Future.  Allow to dry.
8. You might want to take the shine off a bit - spray with clear semi-gloss
or satin.

See:

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2002/february/aviation/MK_D5.htm

Michael