[WWI] Werner Voss photo

Tom Ruprecht ruprecht at charter.net
Tue Jan 18 21:00:29 EST 2005

OK, I've lurked this Voss cowl thing enough.  I'm no expert, but IMHO, all
this discussion is silly unless we know the exact date of the photo.  Is
the date known beyond dispute?  Maybe it was taken the very date Voss first
got in F. 103/17 and before the Jasta scheme was applied.  In this photo,
we obviously can't see if the cowl is painted with the famous face (yet).

Again, IMHO, there was a time when Voss' F-1 had an olive cowl, before any
face or any other color was painted on it.  I would submit that this photo
depicts that (brief???) time after it's manufacture and doesn't prove
anything about how the airplane was painted when he fought his last battle
in it.

Now I'll leave for Baltimore before this email hits the fan ;-)     Rupe

PS- These types of threads are really fun to watch...