[WWI] Werner Voss photo

DNSH at aol.com DNSH at aol.com
Tue Jan 18 20:05:03 EST 2005

Shane writes:

"Which painted part of the forward fuselage are you comparing?  The  only
visible bits are just beneath the forward wing root - and it matches  the
cowl "

No The area direct behind the cowl retaining strap.  Much darker than  the
cowl.

Then Shane says:

"OTOH the tone of the cowl *precisely* matches the turtledeck aft of the
cockpit, so my coclusion is that the cowl is *definitely* streaky  doped"

If that's the case, shouldn't you conclude that the cowl is Fokker
turquoise?  The turtledeck behind the pilot looks closer to the  non-streaked areas of
the fuselage than the olive streaked areas.

Then:

"There are other examples of non-Jasta-painted wheels in solid tones too,
probably just
more heavily factory painted."

I can't remember seeing those, but I'll have another look.

And finally:

"Anything else is just more guessing."

But it's so much fun just guessing.

Dan