[WWI] Albatros D.Va Stropp

Nicklas, Brian NicklasB at si.edu
Tue Jan 18 16:08:02 EST 2005

Well, there are pics that show the rudder on it here in the States, and
you can see a white border all the way around the cross on the tail,
indicating a CDL rudder.
And Greg vWG did some work showing that airframe is from a batch that
was delivered with painted wings, other details show that the lower
wings were replaced due to damage, unclear on combat damage or other
causes.
And the name of the pilot is about 99 percent certain to be Erich
Guergens (sp?) - and in his home area of Germany, "Stropp" is a term for
a small boy loosely translated as "Little Rascal."
(all from recall, I'd need to look at the file again)
I think it would be corrected on the real aircraft, but we've 200
airplanes that need more work.

- Brian