[WWI] Is the sky falling?

Stuart L. Malone smalone at kc.rr.com
Tue Jan 18 07:23:25 EST 2005

Part II

Now, if you really want your head to spin, what about the professional
modelers?  Seems to me much like Lemelson v. GM or SCO v.
DaimlerChrysler, where the patent owners (Lemelson & SCA) were suing
the end users, not the manufacturers of the product infringing on the
patent, in these cases, Cognex and Linux (Red Hat?) respectively.  What
I mean by this is the kit manufacturers are only going to pay licensing
for the rights to manufacture the kit.  If I want to sell a finished
kit, I will have to negotiate a separate licensing agreement with the
rights holder to avoid being sued.  I know a couple of guys in my area
who are professional modelers and do it to help subsidize their income
to help put food on the table for their families.  In all practicality,
my guess is these people could get away with infringement for the rest
of their lives, as the cost of prosecution of individuals is far more
expensive than the royalties they would gain.  However, it would be
nice if the kit manufacturers encompassed this point, kind of like
Apple did with the music people and the whole 'fair use' policy in
iTunes, even though it's not really fair use, but that's another topic
for a different mailing list.

			Stuart L. Malone

On Jan 18, 2005, at 4:43 AM, Warren Dickinson wrote:

> "I think that WWI is safe. :)"