[WWI] Newbie-ish Albatros questions

Mike Muth mikemuth at ptd.net
Mon Jan 17 22:24:27 EST 2005

Dave/Mike wrote
.  But what would the radiator configurations be for the aircraft listed
above?  Or more simply, what differences do the various centre wing/radiator
options in the kit depict?  Which props should I be using?  And, for that
matter, which engine?  I guess basically what I'm asking is, which optional
parts would I use for Frommherz', Ray's, Goring's and Bassenge's D.IIIs?

Next up, colour matches.  What are generally regarded to be the closest
matches to the grey used on metal parts and wing camouflage colours?  And
(dare I open the can of worms?) who does decent 5-colour lozenge decals in
1/72.

Not sure ZI can answer all the questions. The earlier D-III had a center
radiator. After the first batch or so, the radiator was shifted. I believe
that the Blau Maus had it in the center. For a color match, I used
ModelMaster's light blue. Came out OK. My 1/48 version is on my gallery
page. To answer the rest of the questions, you should pick up a copy of the
ALbatros Datafile or Special. Lots of detail info. As for lozenge, I like
both Eagle Strike and Americals. Eagle strike is easy to find. Americal has
to be purchased only through the mail. Great reserach comes with the
Americals. I believe there is an order form on the web page somewhere.
hth
Mike Muth