[WWI] Digital cameras again.

Karen Rychlewski krychski at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 11 00:07:19 EST 2005

Knut Erik Hagen wrote  [among other things]:
>...  With a digital SLR with interchangeable lenses,
> I am fighting a never ending battle with dust that finds it way into the
> camera and leave shadows when landing on the chip that captures the image.

This is an interesting point, and one that is rarely addressed.
On a film SLR, if motes of dust enter the camera while you're changing
lenses they will likely land on the negatives/slides of at most three
photos--and the area they have to land on is  35x25mm. But if the same
dust enters a digital SLR and lands on the (roughly) 15mm square CCD
chip that captures the photo (with its 3 or 4 or 5 *million* pixels),
that speck of dust is there for the duration and will affect every shot
thereafter. Simply having a digital SLR cleaned professionally will hit
your wallet to the tune of $200 or more. This was one of the strongest
selling points for me when I was considering which camera to buy. For
the non-professional user, I truly think a fixed lens digital is the
only way to go.

> If you are to have only one digital camera, I would consider going for one
> that is in the range between compacts and SLRs, they have short enough
> lag time to take photos of moving obects and a decent zoom (5-10x) without
> being too expensive or heavy to drag around.

Good advice, Knut Erik

Karen