[WWI] STRINE?

Shane Weier bristolf2b at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 10 16:39:29 EST 2005

Mr T says:

>I think it went un answered, but for the member that asked, I too had the
>same question, and the answer is "strine" is Aussie slang for Aussie slang:
>
>"Strine. Spoken Australian lingo or dialect (and its written equivalent).
>If you pronounce Australian in a certain way, what you get is Strine.
>Sometimes used for uneducated, unrefined language."

True, all true. Coined by author Afferbeck Lauder (AListair Morrison) in his
seminal work "Let's speak Strine" in 1965

I can quite clearly remember teachers cautioning us against lazy speach
which would leave a Strine accent like that of LSS

Shane

   My Strine is a Toad in Disguise

        Quidvis recte factum,
   quanvis humile, praeclarum