[WWI] Roland D.VI wing mounted compass

Grzegorz Mazurowski grzegorz_mazurowski at poczta.onet.pl
Mon Jan 10 05:31:10 EST 2005

Ernie!
> But now I'm wondering what instrument would be mounted there? A fuel gauge
> would make sense is it had a tank in the top wing. A tach could be put
there
> but why? The panel would be easier. It's not important for my purposes,
just
> curious.

So you decided for that shield-Roland.
Remember that it is not standard crate, but one taking part in the Second
Fighter Competition. So some things can be different than in standard
planes, maybe that instrument is some "extra" thing, not used on normal
plane, but necessary for testing/evaluation. Some photos of other Rolands
show similar instrument, not faired, besides normal compass bulge. Maybe
it's rpm indicator or tacho, as it has something which looks like flexible
shaft attached to it.

G.