[WWI] Re: Roland D.VI, now Albatros C.III

Grzegorz Mazurowski grzegorz_mazurowski at poczta.onet.pl
Sun Jan 9 07:55:48 EST 2005

John!
Who knows?
I have some thoughts:
- standard Roland "bulge" is unnecesarily big for the mirror, and the "face"
is very small, and placed pretty deeply into the housing - so if it was a
mirror, it would be very ineffective.
- 'mericans could have got the Roland without original compass which would
fit into wing bulge, so they could have been using another one, placed into
the cockpit. Original compass placed in such bulge shouldn't have clock-like
"face", as you see it not from the face but from the side (can't explain it
better in English, sorry).
IMO original Roland wing compass "face" should have looked a bit like that:

- Roland with shield marking really has different bulge, apparently with the
round face, and that one can really be the mirror.