[WWI] Re: Roland D.VI, now Albatros C.III

Grzegorz Mazurowski grzegorz_mazurowski at poczta.onet.pl
Sun Jan 9 07:25:05 EST 2005

> > (And on the fuselage chin(underside just aft of the spinner) there's a
> > square
> > cut-out on the metal panels that looks to represent....what? Some sort
of
> > air intake/breather?)
> Air intake for the oil cooler. This oil cooler is clearly visible in the
> Krakow Roland.

To be precise: there is rather big rectangular hole in the chin, showing the
corrugated surface of the oil-cooler placed immediately behind the prop
boss. These corrugations can give you impression of the grill-like grate,
but there is no grate there, just rectangular hole. Oil cooler is probably
brass (or some other metal, but looks like a dirty brass in Krakow.
If you really like, I can provide some photos, both from Krakow museum and
period ones.

Good luck, it's a beautiful airplane!!!

G.