[WWI] Roden Gotha G.V fuselage

Martin Gastel hornisse at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 5 23:14:01 EST 2005

Hi James,

I am by no means an expert on Gothas (although I am a big fan of them), but
it does appear that Roden got the fuselage wrong for their G.V.  As you
mentioned, the fuel tanks on the G.V were moved directly behind the
cockpit, thus completely blocking the passageway. The photo of the crashed
G.V on page 57 of the Datafile Special clearly shows the absence of the
walkway. That said, there is a photo on page 48 of the aft end of a G.V
(which can be deduced from the bracing for the horizontal and vertical
stabilizers) taken from the pilots cockpit which clearly shows that the
cutout for the walkway is present. Does anyone know if some early G.V's
still had the cutout? Incidentally, if you look closely at the plan views
for the G.IV and G.V included with the Datafile, the outlines of the
cockpits hidden by the upper wing are still shown as a dashed line and the
G.V does not show the walkway cutout.

At any rate, closing off the walkway is a very easy fix. My problem is that
I have no references showing the fuel tanks and they don't come with the
kit. Do the Harry Woodman drawings you mentioned show them? If you have any
references showing the tanks I would greatly appreciate it if you could
share them with me.

Cheers,

Martin