[WWI] Info from the Smithsonian

Mr.T dr-i.417.17 at cox.net
Tue Jan 4 17:26:18 EST 2005

Back in October, with my family's visit to Udvar Hazey, I asked the question of why did the Nieu 28 there have what I though was a later technology venturi tube mounted on the right side of the fuselage.

We eventually settled on the point that it was a Whilieman (sp?) pump.

Well I wrote the research folks at the Smiths and the answer came in today.

It is a fuel pump!

The main 58L fuel tank has a small can located in the top behind the fuel filler.  As the main tank level drops, the venturi pulls a vaccuum in this small can and pulls fuel up from a 40L aux tank located just to the outboard of the pilots left knee.

Neat little diagram of the fuel system from a Mr Hamady.

Mrt