[WWI] Pantomime Scenery

Don Ralston don.ralston at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jan 4 14:08:03 EST 2005

Whilst painting the pantomime scenery (12 feet by 4 feet panels),  I felt like one of the guys in the factory, or in the hangar painting an OT aircraft with its Jasta or Squadron (or Escadrille, or Squadriglia) insignia. Made me realise how difficult it was to paint untreated canvas. The brush drags like crazy as the material sucks in the paint. Second and third coats go on fine.

I wondered if any OT aircraft had pantomime characters painted on as personal insinia - Red Riding Hood, Puss-in Boots, Aladdin, Mother Hubbard, etc? Is pantomime only a UK phenomenum or do the ex-colonies (including the USA) still carry it on.

Don