[WWI] (no subject)

iban ibancorp at tds.net
Mon Feb 28 15:31:01 EST 2005

hey everyone,

please bear with me for a moment.  altho this may seem off-topic, it's not.

almost all of the original sources we use to research the old aeroplanes we
love fall into this "orphan" category of copyright law.

altho you may not have thot of it this way, we are much more involved in
photo-archeology than we are in aero-archeology, since most of what remains
of the history of aviation consists now of the texts, drawings, and photos
we study, not the actual aeroplanes, the vast majority of which are gone
forever.

this means that almost all of the primary sources available to us are mired
in this copyright swamp (as, in fact, is most of the published work of the
first two thirds of the 20th century--about half of everything that has ever
been written in human history).

we aviation buffs are particularly impacted by this, because let's face it,
most of what has been published in our field has been written by somewhat
obscure authors (in the grand scheme of things, tho not to us!) and put out
in small print runs, by small and often otherwise unknown publishers, many
of whom were never to be heard from again.  much of what still survives may
well be lost to those of us who are really interested, and to future
generations, unless we do our part to fix this broken international
copyright system.

please click on the link in the article below and just write a few sentences
to the u.s. copyright office explaining how the current situation effects
you as an aviation history enthusiast.  it will make a difference.

please also pass this on to other individuals and organizations you know
whose publication of their research into aviation history is handicapped by
the current state of affairs.  fixing this system can make a significant
difference to getting the sort of new reference works we love to see,
published.  not to mention being able to get much better access to works
that are of great interest but currently out of print, while not due out of
copyright for many decades to come.

thanks for your time.  we now return you to your regularly scheduled
program.

best,

iban.