[WWI] Aviatik camo scheme

Grzegorz Mazurowski grzegorz_mazurowski at poczta.onet.pl
Mon Feb 28 09:58:18 EST 2005

Hi!

> I've a question about the Aviatik Berg mottle camo (the same question
about
> Phoenix DI fighter) / The mottle (green and brown ) of the so called
> "autumn scheme" is applied with a sponge on the wing upper surface and the
> fuselage. If there is no problem about the underlayer of the wings (linen)
> Was the fuselage painted in yellow or was it just varnished and then
mottled???

It depends, I think. Aviatiks had mostly "individual" camouflage, only the
latest versions had some kind of standard camouflage, especially these
Lohner built, painted in hexes.
So I think that to be precise you should ask about particular airplane, not
the Aviatik "Berg" in general.
Earliest Aviatik built (38.05, 38.32) planes were apparenltly delivered in
plain finish and painted in Autumn leaf scheme in the unit. Photos show that
these planes have painted only fabric surfaces, and the wooden fuselage has
factory dark varnish only, also on the upper surface.
There are various photos of many other Bergs in mottled scheme, and they
show various ways of applying of that camouflage.
A good hint can be Berg Triplane prototype, painted apparently in the
factory (as it was prototype). Photos of that airplane show it in camoulfage
also on the fuselage top and sides, and the fuselage looks darker that wings
or fin, that suggests that painters didn't tend to obtain identical finish
on the fabric and wood, so probably they jyst applied green and brown
mottles on the original, unpainted surface: wood on the fuselage and fabric
on the tail and wings.

I also belive that "Autumn leaf scheme" is not very precise idea, it is
designation for the group of camouflages, and the name was created by
O'Connor who researched AH camouflages.

Phonix camouflage was very different, I don't know any photo of the Phonix
in Autumn leaf camouflage. Phonixes were finished in one colour, green
(D.II) or brown (D.I) (or in two similar ones - I mean two greens or two
browns), which was applied by rag or sponge too, but more densely than on
the Aviatik, giving almost solid colour effect. One of the Italian museums
has a rudder from Phonix fighter, painted in dark green.

I can answer more precisely if you ask me about some particular airplanes. I
spent dome time researching and comparing Berg camouflages...
Cheers!
G.