[WWI] Re: WWI Fokker D.VII???

Ken Schmitt knnths at mchsi.com
Sun Feb 27 13:12:42 EST 2005

Hi Jamie -

> MvR had received a Fokker D.VII before he was killed, according to
> several
> of my limited sources. Can anyone tell me which manufacturer it came
> from?
That early, it would have been a Fokker-built, at Schwerin.
OAW and Alb. rec'd their orders after Schwerin, as function of meeting
total numbers ordered.
I believe Schwerin was awarded approx the first 500 orders.

> Is the serial number known?
Perhaps someone else would know. I've never come across this.

>  Had the airplane been painted in his colours?
Same as above. Highly doubtful.
Goering got his own white D.VIIf, from Schwerin, but he may be singular
in that request/delivery.
Note "f" - late in the war, September, at least as v. April/May.

> If
> so which parts of the plane were red? And of course what the finish of
> the
> rest?
Red.
(j/k)
Ok, *Blood* red.
(sorry...)
ok, Maroon.

ok, Jasta 10 yellow with faces every where.

> Were any Fokker D.VIIs delivered with Maltese crosses?
Yes.
About the first half-dozen.

Streaked upper surfaces, throughout, Fokker turquoise underneath,
including fuselage & stab.
White fields and Maltese crosses, on top plane, fuse side.
There are some few photos that show this, including turquoise
underneath on both flying surfaces and fuselage.
Heldmann's (LvR) comes closest to this look.

Make an interesting curio of this a/c, in event.

ken9