[WWI] Knut's Le Bourget racers

Steve Cox steve at oldglebe.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Feb 25 17:52:21 EST 2005

on 25/2/05 1:34 am, ot811 at ot811 at msbx.net wrote:

> I need some help with identification here:
> http://www.wwi-models.org/Photos/Pre-War/Paris/index.html
>
> Photos 3,4,5,6 are the Deperdussin Monocoque.
>
> Tentatively, I identified 7 and 8 as the Morane Type H, but Knut has labelled
> these as Nieuport (see name of the jpeg files).  I am assuming that this is
> the same subject in the background in photos 4 and 6.  Can anybody confirm
> this?
>
> Photos 1 & 2 : what is this ? Some early Nieuport?
>
> The link to the MAE is :
> http://www.mae.org/collec_1900.htm
> thanks in advance
> Sanjeev

Fiche 2 on the mae site has a picture of the Morane H, which I suggest
confirms your ID

1 and 2 certainly look very similar to the two Nieuport monoplanes in the
Munson Pioneer Aircraft book, though both of these have rotary engines.
But why does picture 1 have a striped rudder?
regards
Steve
steve at oldglebe.freeserve.co.uk
http://www.oldglebe.freeserve.co.uk/steveshome.html