[WWI] lots of cool news/ was: New Company - ELF

Diego Fernetti dfernet0 at rosario.gov.ar
Thu Feb 24 06:11:18 EST 2005

J.R.
> There were Belgian units who wore tophats into battle !

You mean, those shako's, very much like the Napoleonic headgear? Here in
Argie-land we have an infantry regiment (in fact, the first 100% Argentinian
regiment, created in 1806) http://www.patricios.mil.ar/unif.htm and they
wear top hats with a plume.

>   One of the reasons the Great War is so fascinating. Horses and tanks,
> sailing ships and submarines, flechettes and flamethrowers, pigeons and
> wireless, Edith Cavell and Mata Hari, plumes and camouflage, triplanes
> and Zeppelins. Just amazing !

Completely agree. And Ernest Thomas fired the first shot. We're truly
indebted to him.
D.