[WWI] Lother's Plane - 'Richthofen's Eleven'

Rick Geisler ragfokker at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 20 11:41:42 EST 2005

Sean asks,

>Hello. Got this really nice Kagero book (yes, with
>decals), and on the back, it's got this yellow D.VII,
>said to be a mount of Lothar von Richthofen's, on the
>back. Is this a strictly conjectural profile? I'm
>thinking this, 'cause it is otherwise a relatively
>easy, and very colorful, scheme. Ya'd think you'd see
>it replicated pretty often, if believed to be actual.
>What's the skinny?

Sean, I have been looking at the same book and picture for 2 days now and
wondering the same thing! My guess, as yours, is conjectural! It is anice
scheme though isn't it!!

>This is obviously a late Fokker-built, but if this was
>an actual mount of the great ace, does one know if
>this plane were a D.VIIF, or had a Mercedes?

Their is a portion of text at the beginning of the book referring to Lothars
32nd and 33rd kills. In this the BMW engine is mentioned. SOOO that being
said one could guess DVII F. That is my take on it with the lack of info!
Maybe their is a DVII experten with more info?
Rick G.