[WWI] Sierra Scale vacs - a clarification

Michael Kendix mkendix at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 18 15:45:37 EST 2005

Just need to make a clarification.

I referred to the Hansa Brandenburg C.1 Sierra Scale kit in disparaging
terms.  The manufacturer of said kit asked me what was "S****y" about it.
Fair enough.  Sierra Scale vacs are some of the best vacs around: up there
with a decent Roseplane or VLE Models.  When I said that, I meant that it
being a vac, and taking a lot of time and effort - scratchbuilding pieces
etc. - was really the problem.

Indeed, having purchased the HB-C.1, I would not have purchased the Lloyd
C.V after that if the former had not been decent enough.

Turns out that the Sierra Scale kit is a Phönix built series 29, whilst the
forthcoming Special Hobby is a Series 369, which is a later Ufag built
version.

Would I have built the Sierra Scale kit if I had the Special Hobby kit
available?  That is a question that will never be answered.  Am I pleased
that I will have the both an Ufag and a Phönix version of this great plane
on my shelf?  Absolutely!

My sincere apologies to Sierra Scale.

Michael