[WWI] Camouflaged Pfalz D.IIIs??

Will Hendriks whendriks at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 18 14:46:29 EST 2005

Will Hendriks wrote:

> There is also a very useful diagram at the back of the book showing
> the camouflage pattern in plan and side view. There is a very good
> photo on p.5 of a D.III on its nose, showing the demarcation line
> clearly between the top colors and the bottom.

Mikko:

I should add that the color diagram states that the finish was applied
at the factory, and was Dark Green and Mauve/Lilac on the uppersurfaces,
with lower surfaces either pale blue "or, more likely, silbergrau."

The wheel covers seemed to vary, those on Heldmann's machine appearing
to be silbergrau, while those of Lt. Bellen's machine (on p.5) appear to
be camouflaged. An interesting aspect of Bellen's machine is the white
wrap-around fuselage band with the iron cross insignia outlined in a
lighter color. Mmm...

Will